Monday, June 23, 2008

Child Overload

Multiplicity, Take Two

I have had the fun and good fortune to be able to stay home with my 5-year-old daughter, Megan, for the last 2 weeks- since school is out and we're getting ready to re-locate (some day), I currently am without an 8-5 job. Now, mind you, Megan has been in daycare or school since she was 8 weeks old, and I have only been at home with her a total of about 4 months total out of the entire 5 years she has been alive, so this is a very new thing for both of us.

I have only been about to kill her 11,543 times in 2 weeks.

Ok, I may be exaggerating just a little bit, but I think you catch my drift. But there definitely have been some beautiful highlights to the last 2 weeks, and it is so fun to get to see her from the minute I get up (because she wakes up first) to the minute she goes to bed (because I am in the terrible habit of staying up WAY too late).

For example, she left her very first prank voicemail message. (I am still looking for the page in her baby book that commemorates that landmark developmental step.) One of the actors/writers that was involved in the 48 Hour Film Project, Adam, had quite an impact on Megan.

KBN_21294

I am sure you can understand why. He wears makeup.

He challenged her to a dance-off during filming, and she was quite taken with him, until she decided that he was too tall, too cute, and too funny for her.
KBN_20912

A few days later when Kathryn was calling around to see when people would be arriving for the premiere of the film, Adam told her that he and Megan had a 4:30 reservation at Chuck-E Cheese, so he would be arriving sometime after their date. So, it is fair to say that he opened the door for this.

The following Sunday we were all gathered at my in-law's house for Father's day. Kathryn recounted what Adam had said earlier that week, and I said, "Well, I think Megan needs to call him and tell him off for not showing for their date!" This is how awesome my kid is: she did it. After several rehearsals to make sure she remembered everything (lines supplied by Kathryn and myself), we called and got Adam's voicemail. Here is her message:

"Adam. It's Megan. I waited for you at Chuck-E Cheese and you never showed up. I am very disappointed. CALL ME WHEN YOU GROW UP. Bye."

I tear up with pride just thinking about it.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

That's hilarious. God help the guys that fall for her when she's grown up

Kari said...

What do you mean? She's obviously ALREADY grown-up.

Heaven help me.